Jan 6 - Abrams people slaves for 400 years??

Talk about some bummer news to get from God himself! Abram had great favor with God and he was very wealthy with flocks of sheep, goats, herds of cattle and many tents. Abram had so much and his nephew Lot was also loaded with flocks and herds that the land they were living in couldn't support them both so Lot moved his tents to a place near Sodom(before God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah) and Abram went to Canann. The Lord spoke to Abram and said "Look as far as you can see in every direction-north and south, east and west. I am giving all this land, as far as you can see, to you and your descendants as a permanent possession. And I will give you so many descendants that, like the dust of the earth, they cannot be counted!" So Abram moved his camp to Hebron and settled near the oak grove belonging to Mamre.

Lot is then captured by some invaders when Abram finds out he rallies up 318 trained men who had been born into his household. He goes and kicks some butt, saves Lot with his possessions and all the women and other captives as well as all the goods that had been taken. He banters back and forth with the king of Sodom very respectfully and hears from the Lord again sometime later. "Do not be afraid, Abram, for I will protect you and your reward will be great." What's his response "O Sovereign Lord, what good are all your blessings when I don't even have a son?" Then the Lord took Abram outside and said to him, "Look up into the sky and count the stars if you can. That's how many descendants you will have!" For the second time God had to tell Abram he would have kids. One of the Greats of the Bible constantly questioning God.

He also drops this little bombshell - Then the Lord said to Abram, "You can be sure that your descendants will be strangers in a foreign land, where they will be oppressed as slaves for 400 years. But I will punish the nation that enslaves them, and in the end they will come away with great wealth. (As for you, you will die in peace and be buried at a ripe old age.) After four generations your descendants will return here to this land, for the sins of the Amorites do not yet warrant their destruction." So he's getting the entire picture laid out for him by God himself. You think that will bring up more questions for him?

How often do you question what the heck you are going through and why? Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I get a free ride through this mist shot in the air we call life. Now Boo and I didn't have the issue with children at all. Eliana was born because she stopped taking birth control and we shared a cup of coffee and Pnut I think was because she slept on my pillow one night:) I swear the girl is a fertile as they come. I have gone through some stuff though that to me didn't make any sense at the time. There was absolutely no reason that I should be in the muck I was in......But I always have to remember that I can only see my speck I can't see the bigger picture. I look back on some situations and can see what was being done now. But I still question God on some others and I'm sure will question Him again. Does that make me a bad Christian to question God as to why I didn't get this or was stuck with that? Nope I think it makes me like many greats in the bible.....human.

No comments:

Post a Comment