Jan 15 - Jacob sneaks away

So Jacob has had enough he packs up his wives, kids, livestock and all belongings and heads out to return to the land of Canaan where his father, Isaac, lived. Well he gets a few days away and Laban finds out and musters up some of his relatives to track him down. Lucky for Jacob God was with him because he told Laban in a dream "I'm warning you-leave Jacob alone." How would you like Him as a messanger! This is classic when Laban finally catches up to Jacob he starts pulling the guilt trip. "What do you mean by stealing away like this?" Laban demanded. "How dare you drag my daughters away like prisioners of war? Why did you slip away secretly? Why did you steal away? And why didn't you say you wanted to leave? I would have given you a farewell feast, with singing and music, accompanied by tambourines and harps." RIGHT! This guy has been lying and backstabbing Jacob since the beginning taking advantage of his connection with God. He snaps in line 40..check it out Genesis 31:40-42 Everyone loves a good snap:) So they form a covenant not to hurt eachother and life goes on.

Now that Jacob has cleared that up he has to move on to clear up his mess with Esau. He sends messanger ahead to meet with Esau and explain what's been going on and hope that Esau will be friendly to him. The messanger returns and says "We met your brother, Esau, and he is already on his way to meet you-with an army of 400 men!" I'm betting it's not a welcoming party. Jacob freaks out splits his household in two hoping that one group will live if Esau attacks...more sibling rivalry. The worst my sis ever did was tuck me in the dryer and turn it on for a 1/2 a spin....well and there were those times she convinced me to get in a box and ride it down the stairs knowing the box would catch the first step and I would tumble....man I wasn't a very bright kid.

In Matthew today Jesus whips out some more great parables and the mack daddy for us Christians is 10:32 "Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven." I truely believe that Jesus is the only way into heaven and love what has happened in my life since I accepted him years ago. The void in my heart has been filled. If you're even remotely curious be sure to check out a local bible based church, if your not curious get around some people that will spark your curiosity!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment