Feb 11 - The People Get Bored

Moses has been up on Mount Sanai for a while so the people get antsy and gathered around Aaron. "Come On," they said, "make us some gods who can lead us. We don't know what happened to this fellow Moses, who brought us here from the land of Egypt." Now talk about lack of loyalty and faith. Over and over again the Lord has used Moses to come through for the people and again once things get questionable the people want an Idol to worship! So Aaron makes one out of their gold.......Miiiiiiiiiistake! The people were about to be wiped out right there by the Lord but thanks to Moses and his favor with God they were spared. Moses goes down the mountain with the commandments on two tablets and the everyone is partying and celebrating giving sacrafices to the false idol, a golden calf Aaron made. When Moses saw this he was furious and threw the tablets to the ground smashing them.

I Love this...sounds like a type of excuse one of my kids will use.....Moses asks Aaron "What did these people do to you to make you bring such terrible sin upon them?" He gives a rundown of what they said and says "I simply threw it (the gold) into the fire-and out came this calf!" Ya right.......:) Moses gives them one last chance to be on the Lord's side....all the Levites gathered around him. The next day they killed all of those that weren't with the Lord.

Moses asks the Lord to show him his presence. God replies "I will make all my goodness pass before you, and I will call out my name, Yahweh, before you. For I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose. but you may not look directly at my face, for no one may see me and live." He then has him stand by a rock and covers him with his hand until he passes by to let him see Him from behind.

Everything Jesus talked about was starting to come to pass. Peter rebuked that he didn't know Jesus 3 times then the rooster crowed. Judas realizes that Jesus had been condemned to die so he tries to take the 30 pieces of silver back, paid to him to deceave Jesus, to the elders.....no dice. So he threw the coinds and left and hanged himself. The priests used the money to buy the potter's field fullfilling the prophecy of Jeremiah that says,
"They took the thirty pieces of silver-the price at which he was valued by the people of Israel, and purchased the potter's field, as the Lord directed."

No comments:

Post a Comment